This is one of the simplest and easiest soup which even a beginner can master in no time. Broccoli and leeks get all the right punches from garlic, cumin and black pepper. Round it all up with some cream and it won’t last too long on the table. So be sure to make enough.
Any broccoli lovers here? Well I can’t relate to you. I am not a big fan of broccoli. But this soup really gets me going. It’s one of the ways I like to have my portion of broccoli without complaining (promise). I will even be coming for more.
Since the weather is getting colder, I have decided to do a soup series, “The Soup Affair“. Every thursday I will be presenting a soup recipe. I like to keep my soups simple. I do not overload them with lots of spices, but only a few right ones. Those which complement and enhance the flavors, nothing too overpowering to subdue the taste of the key ingredients.
This broccoli and leek soup get its kick from garlic, cumin and black pepper. If you like it spicy you can add chili flakes (I usually sprinkle them on top before serving). I add home made vegetable stock for an in-depth flavor and highly recommend it. I usually make a big batch of stock and freeze it in portions to use later on. However, if you don’t have homemade stock and are short on time, you may use store bought stock cubes or water.
Broccoli and leeks are in season right now. Seasonal vegetable are richer in flavor as well as in nutrition, are much more cost effective and environmentally friendly. The best thing about this soup is that it uses the whole broccoli (including the stalks), so there is no wastage. If you don’t have leeks, you can substitute them with spring onions or brown onion. Although leeks have a milder taste than spring onion or regular onion, they would still work fine.
Let’s get to the recipe:
Creamy Broccoli and Leek Soup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 leeks (substitute: 4 spring onions or 1 brown onion)
- 1 broccoli (including stalks)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 liter vegetable stock (substitute: water)
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) cream
- chili flakes and crushed black pepper for garnish
- Melt the butter in a pot on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the leeks and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli (including stems) and potatoes along with black peppercorns, cumin powder, salt and vegetable stock (or water).
- Cover and let cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add cream and make a smooth puree using a stab mixer (or a stand mixer).
- For some extra kick, sprinkle some chili flakes and freshly crushed pepper on top.
- If you like your soup with a thinner consistency, add as much water as you like after pureeing the vegetables. Bring it to a boil and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- To make your soup extra hot, add some green chilies along with the leeks.