These flour-less, nut free cookies require only 4 simple ingredients. They are so easy to make that even a novice baker will master them in no time. These will be the perfect companion to your tea/coffee.
While baking these, the house is filled up with a wonderful aroma from the coconut being roasted in the oven. Coming out from the oven, these are crispy from the outside and soft from the inside. If you love coconut, you will be hooked onto these. It will only take you 30 minutes from craving them to eating them. In addition to being flour- and nut free these are also refined sugar free. I have used maple syrup to sweeten them but you could also use honey instead.
How long can I store these cookies?
These cookies could be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days and in the fridge for up to a week. However, they are best eaten within an hour or two of baking, when they are still crispy and fresh.
In addition to the above pictured ingredients, you could optionally put a cranberry or raisin on each cookie to make it look prettier.
Coconut Cookies (paleo)
- 3 medium eggs
- a pinch fresh vanilla (1/4 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (substitute: 1/4 cup honey)
- 1½ cup shredded coconut
- Optional: 20 cranberries /raisins
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Transfer the egg whites to a mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites using an electric/hand mixer until stiff peaks are formed. (To test if they are beaten enough invert the bowl and nothing should fall off)
- Add the vanilla and maple syrup. Mix with a spatula, using the cut and fold method, so as not to break the air bubbles.
- Add the shredded coconut and mix again with cut and fold method, until everything is well combined.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set the oven to preheat at 180°C.
- Now form equal sized cookies. You can either use a deep spoon and push the batter in with your fingers to form half balls or take equal amounts of batter onto your palm and press with your fingers ( of other hand) to shape into a cookie. Place the cookies about 3-4 cm apart from each other on the lined baking tray.
- Optionally you could press a cranberry or raising in the middle of each cookie. If the cookie splits, just reform it by pressing lightly with fingers.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 180°C for 18- 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the tray is out, wait a few minutes before removing the cookies from it to avoid breaking the cookies.
- The cookies will come out crispy from the oven and remain so for a few hours. If you store them longer, they will become soft but still keep intact and remain flavorful.
- If you struggle with separating the egg whites and yolk, try putting the eggs in the fridge for few hours before.