Spiced with cumin, pepper and green chili, this soup is unique in its own way. It’s my favorite thing to make when I have leftover chicken shreds.
I first discovered this soup while following whole30 (a 30 day clean eating program). I was looking for ways to use my leftover chicken and didn’t just want to end up making a caesar salad. I am glad that I tried this recipe as now it has become one of our staples and a family favorite. It’s also very versatile. It tastes great on its own, and as well with rice or bread. Top it with some avocado, green chili, coriander, along with some lime juice and roasted cumin and you won’t be able to resist it.
Ingredients at a glance:
Mexican Chicken Chili Soup
Spiced with cumin, pepper and green chili, this soup is unique in its own way. It's my favorite thing to make when I have leftover chicken shreds.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil/olive oil
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 green chilies
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- Slice the spring onion and garlic. Dice the sweet potato and cut cauliflower in bite size florets.
- Heat the oil in a big pot on medium heat and add the spring onion. Saute for a minute.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the cumin, pepper, oregano and green chilies and saute for another minute.
- Now add the cauliflower, sweet potato, shredded chicken, coconut milk, chicken stock and salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato and cauliflower are tender.
- Top with avocado, lime juice, chopped green chili and coriander, and sprinkle some roasted cumin.