I never imagined that raw papaya could be made so delicious. This salad will keep you asking for more.
This raw papaya salad is crunchy, refreshing and spicy (although that is optional). The dressing adds a perfect kick with the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. It has a well rounded flavour, which goes well with a number of Asian curries and noodles. I personally love it along beef rendang and jasmin rice, because it adds a lovely crunch and also some freshness to the meal.
Where to find raw papaya?
You can find it at Indian or Asian stores, or online from jjgt.de. I ordered mine online.
How long can you store this salad?
This salad stores well for up to 2 days. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. Store the dressing separately and mix just before consumption. This will keep the salad from getting soggy.
Thai Raw Papaya Salad
- ½ medium (200 gm) raw papaya
- 1 big (100 gm) carrot
- 1 small (50 gm) red onion
- a handful of fresh coriander
- 1-2 thai red chili (bird's eye chili) (optional)
- 2 Tbsp (15 gm) roasted and chopped peanuts
For the dressing
- 2 tsp (8 gm) brown sugar
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (from 1 big lime)
- Peel the raw papaya and remove the seeds. Grate it (not finely) either using a food processor or manual grater. Also peel and grate the carrot and the onion. Finely chop the coriander. Thinly slice the Thai red chili (if using).
- Transfer the veggies into a salad bowl. Add the roasted and chopped peanuts on top.
- To prepare the dressing, dissolve the brown sugar into the water. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and mix well.