This salad is everything that summer calls for: light, refreshing and oh-so juicy.
The Combo Of Watermelon And Feta
The combination might sound weird (or maybe interesting), but it works really well. The salty feta- the sweet watermelon, the crumble texture of feta- the crunchy texture of watermelon, the richness of feta- the lightness of watermelon. If these two aren’t meant for each other, I don’t know what else is.
What If You Do Not Like Feta?
If you find Feta too strong, you can replace it with Hirtenkäse (pictured below). It is available at most grocery stores in Germany. It is made from cow’s milk and hence it doesn’t have a strong flavour like Feta does. It is mild and neutral, but still salty which is a great replacement for Feta.
What Ingredients Will You Need?
You can tweak and twist the ingredients according to your choice. These are the ones that I add in mine:
- Feta (or Hirtenkäse)
- Red onion (optional)
- Arugula (or any other green)
For the dressing:
- Red wine vinegar (available at well stocked grocery stores in Germany like Edeka and Rewe)
- Olive oil (good quality, extra virgin)
- Salt (I prefer Himalayan pink salt)
- Freshly crushed black pepper
Watch the video instructions below
- 300 grams (2 cups) watermelon (cut into bite sized cubes)
- 200 grams (1 cup) Feta or Hirtenkäse (cut into bite sized cubes)
- 50 grams (2 cups) arugula (or any other greens of choice) Thoroughly washed and patted dry
- 1 small red onion (diced) (optional)
- 1 medium cucumber (diced)
- 10-12 fresh mint leaves (chopped)
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- Tear the arugula leaves into bite sized pieces by hands (This helps to release more antioxidants from arugula as compared to when you chop it with a knife). Transfer to a salad bowl.
- Add all the remaining salad ingredients.
- In a small glass jar, add the dressing ingredients. Put a lid on and shake for a few minutes to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Enjoy!!