The combination of keema and zucchini comes out super delicious. It’s a wholesome and filling dish, perfect for the weekdays.
I love dishes that combine meat and veggies in one. It gets me my protein and fiber portion from the same dish, not having to prepare multiple ones. This keema zucchini is one of those. I use my instant pot to make it quickly, but it could be totally made on a stove top as well. Instructions for both included in the recipe below.
Ingredients At a Glance
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 green chilies (adjust to preferred spiciness)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium (500g) zucchini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 500 g minced beef (or minced lamb/mix of both) (20% fat)
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup fresh coriander (chopped)
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. Slice the green chilies. Dice the tomatoes and zucchini.
- Heat the pot (or set the instant pot on sauté mode). Once hot, add the onion and fry until the edges start to turn brown (about 2 minutes).
- Add the cumin and green chilies and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the ground spices and salt. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until oil appears on the surface.
- Add the minced beef/lamb. Cook, stirring frequently until the meat changes color and there is no liquid left.
- Add the zucchini and mix well. Lower the heat and cover with a lid. Cook until the zucchini is tender (it will take about 30 minutes). Stir every 10 minutes. (Instant pot- put the lid on and turn the knob to sealing position. Set to cook on manual for 5 minutes).
- Finish by adding garam masala and chopped coriander. If there is still liquid left, cook until you have achieved the desired consistency. Enjoy with chapati or rice, and a side of lemony onion.