This vegan version of matar paneer (green peas with indian cottage cheese) is sure to wow even the meat loving friends out there.
Matar paneer (green peas with Indian cottage cheese) is one of a popular vegetarian food item in north India. In the older days, it was usually prepared in winters as green peas were available in the winter season in India. But now with the availability of frozen peas all through the year, one can make it whenever they like. I replaced the paneer with tofu to make it vegan. Tofu works really well here, as it does not have a strong taste of its own and absorbs the curry flavors nicely. But if you want to use paneer instead, you can perfectly replace tofu with that.
The curry I made here is a very simple one, which requires only a few basic indian pantry ingredients, which are:
- Coriander powder
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Ginger-garlic paste
Let’s get to the recipe (written recipe below)
Ingredients / Serves 4 / Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 400 grams Tofu (firm)
- 2 cups fresh/ frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp ginger- garlic paste
- 3 mild green chilies
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Wrap the tofu with a kitchen towel and put some weight over it. Leave for about 5 minutes to get the access water out. Then cut it in about 3 centimeter cubes.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilies finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the tofu on medium heat until golden on all sides.
- Take the tofu out from the pan and fry the cashews until golden.
- Remove the cashews and use the same pan for preparing the curry by adding the chopped onion, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Saute for 5 minutes until tomatoes turn soft, then add the ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Saute for about 5 minutes on low heat, stirring constantly. If the masala starts sticking to the surface, add sprinkles of water.
- After 5 minutes, transfer to a bowl and allow to cool down. Then, make a smooth paste in a blender.
- Add the curry paste to a heated pan on medium heat and add the green peas.
- Let cook for a minute. Then add the tofu, cashews and half a cup of water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with white/brown rice, chapati or quinoa.