Tired of having zoodles (zucchini noodles) with the plain old tomato sauce or bolognese? Make these super easy tuna balls in a red thai sauce to up your game.
Canned tuna is a good source of high quality protein, selenium, Vitamin D and one of the few sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are needed by the body for a good heart health and a normal brain function.
Enough of having tuna sandwiches, I wanted to create something different this time, which the whole family approves of. So, I made these tuna balls and coated them with thai red curry sauce and added zucchini noodles for a low carb version. You could make it with regular spaghetti also. It was a hit for the whole family.
Here is the recipe; written instructions below:
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 big sweet potato
- 4 cans of 150 grams tuna in water
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Thai red curry paste 2 tsp (check for ingredients, whole30 approved)
- 200 ml or 1/2 can of full cream coconut milk
- Spiralise the zucchini to make zoodles.
- Prick the sweet potato all around, using a fork and then microwave on high for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil the sweet potato.
- Peel and mash the sweet potato.
- Drain excess water from the tuna cans and transfer them into a big bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and egg.
- Mix until smooth.
- Form into small balls.
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the balls and fry until golden on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour some more oil (if required) into the pan and add thai curry paste.
- Saute for a minute, then add the coconut milk.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then add the zoodles and coat well with the sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then transfer the zoodles to a bowl, leaving the remaining sauce into the pan. (Hint: Do not overcook to avoid soggy noodles).
- Add the tuna balls into the sauce and coat them well.
- Top the zoodles with the tuna balls.