Zucchini noodles when combined with earthy mushrooms and creamy coconut milk, some peas and paprika, smothered into a flavorful pesto sauce, isn’t just a treat for the eyes, it makes for an irresistible meal as well. I used shiitake and oyster mushrooms here for their varying nutritional benefits.
Mushrooms are quite underrated when it comes to north Indian cuisine. I first had mushrooms only when I moved to Germany and incorporated them in our regular diet after learning about their health benefits. Mushrooms are cholesterol free, low in calories and fat, and have a modest amount of fiber. They are rich in antioxidants and contain over a dozen minerals and vitamins, including Vitamin D2 which is rarely found in vegetarian sources.
As vitamin D is a result of sunlight exposure, wild mushrooms are the best source to get it. Cultivated mushrooms often lack it as they are mostly grown in darker areas. But did you know you can enrich your mushrooms with vitamin D simply by putting them under direct sunlight for a few hours. Best time to do that is midday, when the sun is the strongest, and the best way is either putting the stems facing up or slicing the mushrooms before putting them out.
Let’s get to the recipe; written recipe below:
- Coconut oil 2 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp Pesto of choice (Used here pesto alla Calabrese)
- 2 Zucchini
- 1 sweet italian pepper or red bell pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms of your choice (Used here 1 cup oyster mushrooms, 1 cup shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen, skip for whole30)
- 1/2 can (200 ml) coconut milk full fat
- Spiralise the zucchini to make zoodles. Set aside.
- Tear mushrooms in unequal sizes with hands. Tearing them rather cutting makes them stringy and gives your dish a rustic feel.
- Cut paprika in thin strips.
- Heat the pan on medium high heat and add the pesto.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes (until it just starts to bubble).
- Add the zoodles, mix well and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, paprika, peas and salt.
- Mix, cover and let cook on low heat for 5 minutes.