A perfect add on to your daawat menu. This shahi zeera pulao is a great replacement for plain rice on special occasions. Serve it along any kinds of curries or sauces.
Shahi zeera pulao has a slight sweet and aromatic taste. Hence it goes well with spicy curries and sabzis. On special occasions, I prefer making it over plain boiled rice. It is one of those dish which looks special even without much effort.
Recommendations for dishes that go along well with this shahi zeera pulao
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Palak Paneer
- Fish Masala Curry
- Restaurant Style Paneer Korma
- Beef Stew (Indian Style)
- Wedding Style Chicken Korma
Shahi Zeera Pulao
Substitute your plain rice with this shahi zeera pulao for special occasions.
- 3 Tbsp oil or ghee
- ½ tsp shahi zeera (kala zeera/caraway seeds)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 300 grams (1 ½ cup) long grain basmati rice
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 400 ml (2 cups) water
- some chopped coriander and mint
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat. Add shahi zeera and sauté it for a minute.
- Turn heat to medium low and add the sugar. Sauté and let it caramelize (change to a light brown color).
- Add the onion and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for about a minute.
- Add basmati rice, along with salt, coriander, mint and water. Give it a mix and let it cook uncovered on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat on low and cover with a lid. Let it cook for about 15 minutes (until the rice is tender).
- Garnish with some chopped coriander and mint leaves.