If you have stayed at a German, Austrian or Swiss hotel, you must have tried this creamy, thick and decadent muesli, which is often served at breakfast buffets.
Although we are all fans of overnight muesli, my husband particularly loves the ones that are served at hotels and restaurants in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It is called bircher muesli, and it has a thick and creamy consistency. It almost tastes like dessert. He tried different ratios of ingredients to find the same consistency and taste. He eventually found the perfect one, which tastes the same like the one we had at different hotels in Germany and Austria.
We served it to our guests at brunch events at our place and they loved it too. They asked for the recipe, so here it is.
Ingredients At a Glance
Watch the video instructions below to easily follow the recipe
Overnight Bircher Muesli (Hotel Style)
- 2 medium apples
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup creamy yogurt (10% fat)
- 1½ cup milk
- a pinch of vanilla (or ½ tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds (crushed) (Leinsamen, geschrotten)
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds (Kürbis-kerne)
- 2 tsp chia seeds (Chia Samen)
- 4 tsp shredded coconut
- 4 tsp maple syrup (Ahornsyrup)
- 1 Orange
- Grate the apple using a coarse grater. Do not grate very finely. Transfer the grated apple into a big bowl.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients into the bowl. Also squeeze the orange to take out the juice from it and add to the bowl. Mix to combine.
- Cover and put into the fridge. Let it rest overnight.
- Serve into bowls or glass jars. You can sprinkle some pumpkin seeds for garnishing. Enjoy!