Somewhat sweet, somewhat tangy, with the goodness of kefir and a hint of vanilla. This one’s a hit with the kids.
When my kids ask for a drink, I prefer serving them something else than fruit juices which are often empty calories. This strawberry vanilla lassi is made using kefir. Kefir is a fermented drink which has more nutritional value than yogurt and is healthy for the gut. Hence I like to use kefir instead of yogurt for this recipe. You can now find it at most grocery stores in Germany including Aldi, Edeka, Rewe etc.
Because strawberries can be quite tart sometimes, I like to add some maple syrup for sweetness. Feel free to replace it with your choice of sweetener like honey or sugar. If your strawberries are sweet enough, you can skip adding any sweetener altogether. As for vanilla, I use grated vanilla bean (Vanillemühle) that is available at Edeka, Rewe or sometimes at Aldi. But you can replace it with vanilla essence or vanilla paste as well.
Strawberry Vanilla Lassi
- Blender or stab mixer
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- a pinch grated vanilla (or a teaspoon of vanilla essence)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or 2 Tbsp sugar)
- 250 ml kefir (or plain yogurt)
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- If needed, add ice cubes to two glasses and top with the strawberry vanilla lassi. Serve chilled.