A fun, healthy and easy lunchbox/ snack idea for kids. These also work great as healthy appetizers for a party.
4 basic ingredients
- Make sure that the bread you are using is fresh, otherwise it will break while rolling. I prefer using whole wheat bread, but you can use white instead.
- Either use a peeler to shave the vegetables into thin strips or grate them. That way it’s easier to roll them into the bread.
- If your roll doesn’t stick together when you roll it, add some cream cheese or butter on the edges to stick it together.
You can vary the vegetables used here. Vegetables like lettuce, rucola, beetroot, radish etc will also work well. Make sure that you pat dry all the vegetables after washing, before adding them to the bread. Avoid using any vegetables that have a lot of water content, as it will make the sushi soggy and difficult to cut. Additionally, you can also add smoked salmon, salami or shredded chicken into it.
The cream cheese spread could be replaced with salted butter, mayonnaise, hummus etc.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these up to a day or two ahead of time. Store in the fridge into an airtight container to retain freshness.
Want more lunchbox/snacks ideas for kids?
Check the ones linked below:
- No cook- fun and easy lunchbox ideas
- Healthy lunchbox ideas from Monday to Friday
- Banana Orange French Toast
- Egg and Toast Roll-ups
- 2 big slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- some cream cheese/ salted butter
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- Peel the cucumber and carrot. Then either shave them into thin strips using a peeler, or grate them. Place onto a kitchen towel to absorb excess liquid until we need them.
- Cut-off the edges from the bread.
- Using a roller, flatten the bread slices evenly from all around.
- Spread cream cheese all over the bread slices.
- Place strips of cucumber and carrots over half of the slice of bread.
- Start rolling the bread from the side where you put the veggies. Roll tightly to stick it together. If it doesn't stick together, use some extra spread onto the edges.
- Cut into 4 equal parts each.
- Bread sushi is ready.