Got overripe bananas? What’s better than to make this moist and healthy blueberry-banana loaf.
“Bananas make a great snack. Let’s grab a few extra from the store.” A week later, “Oh no! looks like we went a little overboard. Now nobody’s eating them and they are overripe.” Sounds familiar? Let’s put those overripe bananas to good use today!
Why make THIS Blueberry-Banana bread?
Out of hundreds of recipes from the internet why choose to follow this one? I will leave you with a few pointers:
- Even a beginner can follow this recipe. It doesn’t require any special equipments or machines. You will only need a bowl and a whisk to bring everything together.
- This a healthier version: I use whole wheat flour for making my banana bread, which makes it wholesome and filling. A piece of this bread, slathered with nut butter will keep you filled for a while.
- It has blueberries: Blueberries make the bread moist and flavorful. Who can say no to breads and cakes containing blueberries? Not me.
Ingredients at a glance
Notes on ingredients:
- Use ripe/overripe bananas only. If your bananas are not properly ripe, the bread would not be sweet enough.
- The coconut oil should be on room temperature. It could be melted but not too hard. If it’s too hard, microwave it for a few seconds or put into a warm water bath.
- I used organic whole wheat flour from Aldi (pictured above) for this recipe. You could use any other brand of flour as well.
- Almonds could be skipped to make it nut-free.
- Baking powder could be found in the baking aisle by the name ‘BackPulver’ in Germany. Do not substitute it with baking soda.
Watch the video instructions below to follow the recipe easily
- 4 ripe/overripe banana
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil (room temperature or melted)
- 1½ cup (350 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (7 grams) baking powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk (room temperature)
- 1 cup (250 grams) blueberries
- 1 Tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
- Set the oven to preheat at 180° Celsius (top and bottom rods).
- Take a big bowl. Add the peeled bananas and mash using a fork.
- Add the eggs and coconut oil. Using a whisk, mix until well combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Give a quick mix. Then gradually add milk and mix using a spatula until a homogenous mixture is formed.
- Add the washed blueberries (reserving a few for the top) and mix gently until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking form (preferably rectangular, 28×15 cm).
- Level the top using a straight spatula. Add blueberries and slivered almonds on the top. Bake on 180° C for about 80 minutes. Since every oven is different do a toothpick test to check for doneness, by inserting it in the middle. If i comes out clean, the bread is done.